Jun 6, 2006

Revenge and the short attention span

I'm coming to the end of The Count of Monte Cristo; Edmond's enemies are dropping like flies and it only remains to see how Dumas wraps it all up.

I think everyone has dreamed about retaliating against someone who done him wrong, but how many would spend decades plotting to bring the wrongoers down? Not me. It depends upon the severity of the infraction, but I can only manage to nurse vengeful thoughts for about three months on the outside. And if I also got my hands on buried treasure worth millions, well, living well is the best revenge.

Speaking of windfalls, I saw a commercial for this show the other day. It's about a group of good looking 20- and 30-somethings who win $400 million in the lottery. How much better--and more realistic--would it be if it concerned a group of middle-aged factory workers?

No comments: