Aug 5, 2005

Has blogging shortened my attention span?

Earlier this week, I started to read this article on tradition by Lee Harris. About halfway through, I gave it up, vowing to return to it later. Well, I haven't gone back to it yet. It's not only long, but it's meaty. And these days, I'm finding, I find it dificult to concentrate on long and meaty while sitting at the computer.

I'm not sure if it's blogging-related or not. I do spend a good portion of the day, surfing news sites looking for something to blog about. And when I spend too much time on something, I get antsy: Must blog something; MUST BLOG SOMETHING!!!! MOVE ON!!!! So there's that.

I think I retain things better when I read the way I was brought up to read: In bed, or at least reclining on the sofa. Of course, there's always the danger of falling asleep while reading. A couple of weeks ago, I was lying supine in bed holding up a rather heavy book. Next thing I knew the book fell on my face and woke me up.

On second thought, maybe I never did have much of an attention span.

No comments: