Feb 13, 2007

It's not just clothes that women prefer to sex

It's also chocolate. A must-read review by Sandra Tsing Loh of I'd Rather Eat Chocolate.
The given orthodoxy, which I recall first learning in my early-1980s college years, was that for a woman, to appear "sex-positive" was to be labeled a whore -- this was our repressive history. Socially she would be sidelined. But how the pendulum has swung. Consider the current proto-cultural-Hollywood-liberal-mediavor-blogosphere-feminist-ish woman of this year, and next, Arianna Huffington. A few months ago, I looked up at the Colbert Report episode my husband had on, and I let out a little yelp. There was Arianna, chatting articulately with Stephen about her latest publication, On Becoming Fearless...in Love, Work, and Life (which, with all of its generous quotations, I found less a book than a literary breezeway; but no matter). "She really is fearless!" I exclaimed. Because -- no Nancy Pelosi-pearls-and-jacket-wearer, she -- there sat tousle-haired Huffington in a frilly, sleeveless, plunging-V-neck blouse, complete with visibly erect nipples. (I thought immediately of that Sex and the City episode in which Samantha shows her girlfriends handy nipple caps one can wear to render a similar effect.)

I want to give credit where credit is due. La Huff looks good. Every time you see her, she looks younger and hotter (like she's drinking the blood of Mary Matalin and James Carville, who seem to become more and more desiccated by the day). But do the erect nipples signal she's ready for sex? We remind you that, unlike the hapless Joan Sewell, who faces the daunting specter of her husband's naughty luscious buttocks every night, Huffington is glamorously single, has a busy media schedule, and in a former life was actually married to a gay man. So what Huffington's Colbert Report twinlets are saying is less "Come and do me!" than "I am very, very excited...about selling books!"

No comments: