Oct 24, 2006

I haven't read any books published in the 21st Century

At least I've read none of the 21st Century books on this list, which is from the book 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die.

According to this list, the most recent "important" book I've read is The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy. Things pick up in the first half of the 20th Century and the 18th and 19th centuries look pretty good, but the 21st Century has gone unread by me. And I think it's going to stay that way. At least as far as this list is concerned. These days I read for pleasure, which most often means escape. I don't want to read anything that someone else has decided is good for me. Am I missing out?

For the record, I've read, cover to cover, 169. I'd list them, but I'm too lazy, plus I spent way too much time going through the list as it is. How many books have you read?

Via Sheila.

No comments: