Sep 25, 2006

Clinton's high dudgeon

He's very good at it, isn't he? I didn't catch the show but I saw the finger-pointing on the morning news and I've been reading about it in a variety of places. Kinda makes you nostalgic for the "I did not have sexual relations with that woman" era.

This weekend, I was talking to my mother about Evelyn Waugh's Decline and Fall. She said Clinton reminded her of the character--Captain Grimes, I think--who, after he committed some vile indiscretion, was given a gun and left alone in a room "to do the right thing," that is, commit suicide. An hour or so later found the Captain still sitting there. I'm not sure this is an apt comparison. I think Clinton would try to talk his adversaries into committing suicide for the vile infractions of 1) noticing his bad behavior; and 2) asking him to account for it. And he might even succeed.

No comments: