Dec 14, 2005

'It smells like vagina in here'

Hilariously bad sexual harassment video found via this discussion of sexual harassment training at Protein Wisdom.

I once worked in an office where a woman who was fired claimed she was sexually harassed. She and a coworker had a sort of third-rate Sam and Diane act going on, not particularly sexual but they were always quipping back and forth. They were the office loudmouths, basically ignored by one and all. Anyway, she filed a claim and we all had to go down to the corporate offices to be deposed. I have no idea what came of it, but if someone were to have asked me beforehand which of my coworkers would be the most likely to file a claim, she would have been chosen without hesitation. When she wasn't trading barbs with her male counterpart, she was overemoting about something, which is why she was eventually fired.

Obligatory disclaimer: Yes, sexual harassment occurs and, yes, it's unpleasant. Between high school and college I worked in an office as a typist/file clerk. One day my boss actually started rubbing up against me. Somehow, my 17-year-old self was smart enough to get up, grab my purse and leave. I spent the entire night wondering what I should do and eventually decided to go to work. When I got there, my boss was practically in hysterics, pleading forgiveness and begging me not to say anything to anyone. So I forgave and forgot. End of story.

For the lighter side of sexual harassment, I recommend reading Stanley Bing's You Look Nice Today. Very funny. And it perfectly captures life in a big corporation.

No comments: