Oct 9, 2005

Pictures follow-up


Here’re the places I visited today, on a whim, with no planning in advance.

A penthouse in Murray Hill, used as an office by film editor. Smug owner was there, picking up dates (chicks come to you, man!) and supervising computer-chained slaves in the back room. Beautiful view of surrounding skyscrapers, from the inside and the roof deck. (“Do you know they filmed Alias here?”). 2 hideous orange sofas on polished concrete floor; pretentious, already outdated 2 years after completion and boooooring!


Totally cool façade of Gershwin hotel on 27th street (pictured on the left), on my way to the designated OHNY site, Prince George Hotel Ballroom. That’s where batteries in my camera kissed me good bye, so there are no pictures to show you, kids! The polychromed ceiling was gorgeous, however, and humongous unrestored fireplace, and the gallery with layers of previous treatment exposed.


Austrian Cultural Forum is much more impressive outside than within. I appreciate the elegant technical solutions to the challenges of the NY codes and site conditions that architect came up with, and the view is truly spectacular, but bland (and blond) interiors left me completely indifferent.


Arsenal in the Central Park, offices of the Park Commissioner. Amusing contrast of typical government offices with beautiful old “garden folly” building.

As well as the face of the park ranger giving the lecture (little green people do exist!), opposite one of the Greek gods (Apollo?) who inexplicably descended into the audience










Lobby of the Chrysler building – words fail me. Magnificent, all I can say. Fragment of ceiling mural pictured on the left.





Walk along 5th avenue, in the 50’s, produced other views as well:





Yyyyaawn. Tomorrow – to the theaters. Or wherever else my fancy will sweep me. See’ya!

No comments: