Aug 6, 2005

Women presidents, continued

Hillary Clinton already seems to be the presumptive Democratic nominee for the presidential election of 2008, so questions about whether female sensibilities are up to the task may already be moot.

I've been challenged by Brainster to come up with a suitable Republican candidate but outside of Condi Rice, I can think of no woman--at this particular time--who would fit the bill. For the record, I think Rice's never having been elected to office is a big strike against her.

As Lance points out, though, more and more women are becoming governors, which seems to be where the electorate likes to get their presidents. After all, anyone can bloviate in the Senate, but how many people can keep a state up and running?

Lance's caveat, though, is his fear that a woman may not be strong enough on defense. As I am both a woman and the most hawkish person I know, I don't subscribe to the stereotype that says women are necessarily more cuddly than men and less likely to wage war. As proof I give you great women leaders who were successful in war. (This has the added benefit of getting this monkey of a meme off my back.)

Elizabeth I
of England united her country and restored the treasury after the devastating reigns of her half siblings. She managed--literally--to keep her head when many had hopes of destroying her and taking her place. She also led her nation during the defeat of the Spanish Armada. Before that nine-day battle, Spain was the dominant power in Europe. Afterwards: Not so much. In fact, you could say Spain never really recovered.
I have always so behaved myself that, under God, I have placed my chiefest strength and safeguard in the loyal hearts and good will of my subjects. And therefore I am come amongst you at this time, not as for my recreation or sport, but being resolved, in the midst and heat of the battle, to live or die amongst you all; to lay down, for my God, and for my kingdom, and for my people, my honor and my blood, even the dust. I know I have but the body of a weak and feeble woman; but I have the heart of a king, and of a king of England, too; and think foul scorn that Parma or Spain, or any prince of Europe, should dare to invade the borders of my realms: to which, rather than any dishonor should grow by me, I myself will take up arms; I myself will be your general, judge, and rewarder of every one of your virtues in the field. I know already, by your forwardness, that you have deserved rewards and crowns; and we do assure you, on the word of a prince, they shall be duly paid you. In the mean my lieutenant general shall be in my stead, than whom never prince commanded a more noble and worthy subject; not doubting by your obedience to my general, by your concord in the camp, and by your valor in the field, we shall shortly have a famous victory over the enemies of my God, of my kingdom, and of my people.

Margaret Thatcher was Ronald Reagan's chief ally in the battle of the latter half of the 20th Century: The Cold War. Famous for advising Bush 41 against going wobbly, the Iron Lady also led Britain during the Falklands War.
Nothing remains more vividly in my mind, looking back on my years in 10 Downing Street, than the eleven weeks in the spring of 1982 when Britain fought and won the Falklands War. Much was at stake: what we were fighting for eight thousand miles away in the South Atlantic was not only the territory and the people of the Falklands, important though they were. We were defending our honour as a nation, and principles of fundamental importance to the whole world - above all, that aggressors should never succeed and that international law should prevail over the use of force. The war was very sudden. No one predicted the Argentine invasion more than a few hours in advance, though many predicted it in retrospect. When I became Prime Minister I never thought that I would have to order British troops into combat and I do not think I have ever lived so tensely or intensely as during the whole of that time.

Golde Meir was criticized for not being prepared for the Arab attack of 1973, but she kept her head while others around her were losing theirs and brought Israel to victory.
Once it was clear that an attack would take place almost immediately, she supports significant mobilization while, at the same time, resisting the idea of attacking first.

During the conflict, Golda also used great skill in generating desperately needed arms shipments from the U.S. Though her government appears to have discussed the possible use of nuclear weapons during the worst moments of the war, Golda, herself, was not one to panic, as were some others around her. Her determination, composure, strength and common sense proved valuable in the end. The Arab oil embargo follows the conflict.

After the war, the Agranat Commission (set up to investigate Israel’s lack of preparedness) praised her conduct during the fight. One Commission member was impressed because “she carried the full burden. There was no attempt to shove responsibility onto someone else. She answered every one of our questions in dignity…It was Golda at her toughest, not stooping.”

No comments: