Jul 20, 2005

Moron jokes

As family lore has it, the first joke I learned when a child was one in what I'm given to understand was a series of moron jokes:

Why did the moron throw the clock out the window?
Because he wanted to see time fly.

Apparently, I would repeat this endlessly to the chagrin of my parents. Thus, when my soon-to-be 4-year-old nephew told me a joke, I was eager to pass the tradition along and proceeded to repeat the joke endlessly, much to the joy of said nephew. After all, why should just one generation suffer?

As the day proceeded I would drill him, asking, "Theo, why did the moron throw the clock out the window?" Smart boy that he is, he would reply, "Because he wanted to see time fly." Uproarious laughter. During one of these exchanges I caught a look being passed between my sister and brother-in-law.

"What?" I asked.
"I think we could do without the term 'moron.' Can't we?"

There followed a discussion of approved terms, such as boy. But everybody knows that moron is key to the joke, so I dropped the matter.

Anyway, all of this is by way of a prelude to this: The HuffPo Kids Funny Page Special (via K-Lo).

No comments: