Jul 18, 2005

Invasion of the stick figures

Upon entering the gym yesterday, I encountered five obvious anorexics in quick succession, including an octogenarian in a swimsuit--a rarity since most anorexics either recover or die before reaching their eighties. Another had the big head, stick arms and legs, and distended belly seldom seen outside "Save the Children" commercials. Made me want to round them all up and force feed them.

A couple years ago when I was working in an office in the wilds of suburbia, I used to take the backroads to get to work. For months, I would see a woman, more a human skeleton, running along the side of the road with an almost painful look of grim determination on her face. Her thighs were smaller than my upper arms and you could see each of the upper ribs on her chest. Then one day, she wasn't there. I never saw her again.

No comments: