Jul 16, 2005

Breaking up is hard to do

So when is it OK to break up by email? I'd say after a couple of dates, it's fine. In fact, it's not even breaking up. After two dates are you really dating someone?

Someone broke up with me by email. In fairness, it was a long-distance relationship so it would have been awkward for us to get together for a weekend, our customary practice, and do it face to face. But a phone call would not have been out of the question. Actually we were both on the rebound and got into this relationship probably too fast, so breaking up was probably inevitable. But, I'm still furious at the email break up.

Another odd break up occurred with someone I dated only a couple of times. As I recall we went to dinner once, then dinner and a movie. Then he invited me to go out with him on his sailboat. I believe the expedition got rescheduled once or twice for who knows what reason. Finally the day arrives. I drive forever out to Maryland's eastern shore and met him at a coffee shop. Then we take his car, drive forever again 'til we got to his boat. Then boat stuff, ropes, taking off, sailing onto the Chesapeake. We're about an hour out when all of a sudden he tells me he met someone else, which was fine. But it really put a damper on the conversation. I mean I didn't know him very well in the first place and here we are an hour from dry land and he tells me he doesn't want to see me anymore.

"Couldn't you have told me this over the phone?"
"Well, I really didn't want to disappoint you about the boat ride."

So we spent another hour on the boat. More than that, actually, 'cause he didn't want to ruin my day by shortening the trip. (Please, ruin my day.) Then we had to drive back to the coffee shop and for some reason he insisted that I go in and have a cold drink before I take the long drive back home. What, in the name of heaven, was that about?

Someone really should write a rule book for these things.

No comments: