Jun 23, 2005

Turn offs

Literary ones, that is. Dr. Pat wants to know what books you have read that inspired you to pledge never, ever reading that author again. I can think of nothing off the top of my head, except perhaps Tristram Shandy, though I'm not sure Sterne even wrote anything else.

Also, try The Rule of 33 next time you are considering buying a book by an unknown, to you, author.
I start at the top of page 33 and read no further than page 35. The story should be well underway by then, and I can get a real sense of the writer's style and ability to draw me into the story. Together with the cover notes, cover art (ghastly or ultra-mystic cover art sends the book right back to the shelf, without application of the rule), I can build my personal library with few missteps.

I generally just read the first chapter.

No comments: