Jun 17, 2005

Is the cinema dead?

Paul Hamilos:
Do we no longer enjoy the thrill of finding ourselves in a darkened room with hundreds of strangers, waiting eagerly to discover what cinematic delights are in store for us?

Speaking strictly for myself, I still enjoy a night out at the movies. Sure the trailers--and the commercials!--are endless, the other patrons annoying and ticket prices too high. But there's a lot to be said for getting out where the people are and enjoying a film communally. It makes an event that we--with our TiVos, DVD players and pay-per-view movies--have made commonplace. And what's better than dinner and a movie, followed by coffee or drinks afterwards to discuss the movie's finer, or lesser, points?

And then there's the quality. The first time I saw Lawrence of Arabia was on commercial TV, making for a four-hour viewing experience. When they recut and rereleased it in theaters, it was a revelation. You don't get the same experience at home. At least not in my home with my rapidly declining 19-inch TV.

I haven't seen a movie in the theater since Mondovino. I think it's time to take my own advice: This weekend I'm going to see Cinderella Man.

Update: Ann Althouse says maybe fewer of us are going out to the movies because of the quality of the movies being shown. Michael Agger says Hollywood execs don't understand their own products and suggests they turn to academia for help.

No comments: