May 22, 2005

Favorite books

Brainster lists his 10 favorite books and asks others to join him. I'll happily comply with the following provisos: 1) I will not number them--at different times I feel differently about different books; 2) The list is subject to change; and 3) There's some overlap:

Decline and Fall by Evelyn Waugh. Actually love most of Waugh--except, gasp, Brideshead.

Anglo-Saxon Attitudes by Angus Wilson. Brilliant portrait of Ingeborg Middleton, the hero's ex-wife.

A Legacy by Sybille Bedford.

The World of Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse. Actually anything by Wodehouse but the complete Bertie Wooster/Jeeves stories were the first things by him that I read so I'll pick them.

David Copperfield. For years Great Expectations was my favorite book by Dickens, but now it's this one.

Crime and Punishment.

Anna Karenina. I haven't read War and Peace yet.

The Chronicles of Narnia by CS Lewis. All of them.

Reuben Reuben by Peter De Vries.

Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame.

Update: I forgot Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series. Since I think all 20 volumes are really just one book, I'll add the series to my list.

No comments: