Apr 18, 2005

Ghost stories

Tom Smith of The Right Coast gives a list of his favorite ghost stories in light of the success of the remake of The Amityville Horror.

I hope I don't sound too fuddy duddy-ish but they seldom make old-fashioned ghost stories anymore--as opposed to the modern-day gorefests you usually see today. The Others is one of the few recent exceptions. I don't recall whether it did very well in the box office, but when I took my son and a friend to see it they were blown away. I think in part because the movie was so creepy, scary without showing a drop of blood.

I would add only The Cat People to Smith's list. I saw this as a kid on TV and it scared the crap out of me, so much so that I remembered it for years afterwards. I saw it again not too long ago and I can report that it's still good. Here's a review.

No comments: