Mar 25, 2005

'Charlotte Bronte: Filthy minx'

Tanya Gold says the real Charlotte Bronte has been obscured beneath the myth created by her first biographer, Elizabeth Gaskell, who reduced her to a victim, "a sexless drudge ... chained to a radiator in the Haworth Parsonage"

In real life, Charlotte was an ambitious, sex-obsessed genius who hated the brats she was forced to teach for a living. From Bronte's diary, written while her young charges studies their lessons:
I had been toiling for nearly an hour. I sat sinking from irritation and weariness into a kind of lethargy. The thought came over me: am I to spend all the best part of my life in this wretched bondage, forcibly suppressing my rage at the idleness, the apathy and the hyperbolic and most asinine stupidity of these fat headed oafs and on compulsion assuming an air of kindness, patience and assiduity? Must I from day to day sit chained to this chair prisoned within these four bare walls, while the glorious summer suns are burning in heaven and the year is revolving in its richest glow and declaring at the close of every summer day the time I am losing will never come again? Just then a dolt came up with a lesson. I thought I should have vomited.
Gold says Gaskell's biography led directly to the Bronte cult exhibited at the author's hometown, where an entire industry has sprung up around the Brontes.
I can find no remnant of the breathing, brilliant novelist in Haworth; it is merely the site of a death cult that weirdly resents its god. I wander up the road to the moors and am surprised they haven't packaged the mud - "Real Brontë Mud!" As the taxi bumps down the famous cobbled street, past the Brontë tea-rooms, the Villette coffee shop, Thornfield sheltered housing (imagine 50 creaking Mr Rochesters) and the Brontë Balti (Brontë special - Chicken Tikka; it's true), I yearn to rip the road signs down and torch the parsonage. This shrine needs desecrating, and I want to watch it burn. I want to see the fridge magnets melt, the tea-towels explode and the wedding bonnet wither. Somewhere, glistening in the ashes, there might remain a copy of Jane Eyre. That is all of Charlotte Brontë that need loiter here.

No comments: